Robie Indicates He Will Stop Accepting Cards as Security

The R. S. Robie Company indicated yesterday that it will stop accepting bursar's cards as security on automobile rentals, since the Bursar has warned that students who leave their cards are violating University regulations.

Richard S. Robie, President of the firm, maintained however, that his organization had in the past collected on students' bills from Lehman Hall. He thus contradicted Roy V. Perry, University Bursar, who said Tuesday that "no one outside the University can receive payment from the $500 security posted for a bursar's card."

"We had no idea that the practice of leaving bursar's cards was against University regulations," Robie said. He added that although his firm has as yet reached no definite decision on the matter, it "will probably no longer accept bursar's cards as security." Robie further stated that he would contact the Bursar immediately in order to clear the matter up.

"Of course, if students can no longer use bursar's cards as security they will have to leave a $20 deposit just like everyone else," Robie continued. "We don't treat students as a special breed of cats," he added.

The use of bursar's cards as rental security was begun in 1929 at the request of students, Robie said. The company has regarded the card primarily as a means of "bringing the student back to pay his bill," and has refused to return cards for any reason until the bill is paid, he explained.

Robie emphasized, however, that his firm does "about $1,000 worth of business a week" with College students and has found that in general they are good credit risks.

The company will continue to extend some form of credit to undergraduates, he added. "I don't think Harvard students are so up against it that they won't be able to qualify for credit," Robie concluded.