Three Groups on College Growth Study Cost, Benefits, Recruitment

The three special committees on expansion, appointed last week by President Pusey, will report to him by Christmas on problems related to faculty recruitment, fringe benefits for teachers, and undergraduate costs, committee members have indicated.

C. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History and member of the Committee on Appointments, Promotions, and Retirements, said, "We will study the whole problem of the recruitment of the faculty and the competition for brains in America.

"What are the younger faculty members doing? Do we pick the best men? Are there mute and glorious scholars who should be at Harvard?" Brinton said his committee will probably try to answer these questions.

Seymour E. Harris '26, professor of Economics and member of the Committee on Compensation, said that his group would "consider whether more money--if it is available--should go into an increases in pensions as possible benefits, might be called fringe benefits."

John U. Monro, Director of the Financial Aid Office and member of the Committee on Undergraduate Costs, said that his group "will be talking over how much it costs to go to College, and where that money goes." Monro indicated that possible subjects will be housing, tuition, and the expansion of student jobs.