Alumni Contribute $2,000 Toward Financing 1956 Crimson Olympians

Alumni have contributed $2,000 toward sending Crimson athletes to the 1956 Olympics, Carroll Getchell, H.A.A. Business Manager, said yesterday.

In the event Harvard has no Olympic representative--something which has not happened since the revival of the modern games in 1896--the sum will go into the National Olympic Fund. Currently a nation-wide campaign is underway to raise the $1,000,000 necessary to cover the expenses of 500 American competitors.

The Harvard contributions came in response to an appeal attached to application forms for football tickets sent to University alumni. Getchell reported the sum raised to date exceeds the amount solicited in 1952. The Department of Athletics has conducted this appeal since 1920.

In past years the money was used to finance expenses of entire teams, such as crew or track. Getchell did not indicate whether it might be used for expenses of lone competitors, like figure skaters or members of the hockey team, for which three former Crimson hockey players are now trying out in Minneapolis.