Crimson's Undefeated Cross Country Team Favored in Yale, Princeton Match Today

By Winthrop P. Smith

The Crimson is slated to swamp Princeton in a triangular cross country meet with the Tigers and Yale, scheduled to begin at 3:45 this afternoon on the Franklin Park golf course. The Elis, however, rated on a par with the varsity, may just manage to capture the meet over a so far unbeaten Crimson squad.

Yale, with a four-two win-loss record, has depth at least equal to that of the Crimson. And the varsity's depth has been its major asset in defeating such teams as B.U. and Dartmouth, both of whom were beaten because they did not have as many fast runners as did the Crimson.

Although no Eli runner has won a cross country meet this year, Yale is solid, with three runners very close to the top. Everett Hedeen, Jeff Loucks, and Bob Schaller can all run the mile in around 4:20.

Princeton has virtually no depth. Jack Vodrey, Tiger captain, is the only harrier who can even attempt to challenge the lead. Vodrey, however, is a real threat. He won the Big Three cross country championship last year, and is also Heptagonals outdoor two mile champ. But there is a huge gap between him and his teammates, bound to be filled this afternoon by Yale and Crimson runners.

Crimson Captain Don French is expected to put forth one of his best performances this season, since a cold which has been slowing him has virtually disappeared. If Pote Reider is up to the form he used against Dartmouth last week when he broke the Hanover course record, he should be a serious contender for first place this afternoon. Ken Wilson, Ralph Perry, Dave McLean, Dick Wharton, and Al Wills will fill out the varsity strength.

If Reider and French can split Yale's powerful Headeen, Loucks, Schaller combination, the rest of the Crimson strength may be able to slip in ahead of the following Eli runners, and barely edge Yale out of the winning position.

Tigers Problem for '59

For the Yardlings it is not Yale who presents the problem this afternoon, but the Tigers from New Jersey, who are unbeaten in two meets. Princeton has three top-fight runners who will strongly contest the lead with the freshmen. With the loss of Captain Dyke Benjamin, the freshmen will be hard put to beat the Tiger harriers.

Yale has only one very fast man, Al Friedman, who is reputed to be able to run a mile in less than 4:30.

Bill Gillen and Jim Schlaeppi will figure prominently in the Crimson offensive. The freshman depth, which may tell the story against Princeton, will come from Bill Thompson, Henry Brown, Larry Jaquith, Al Gordon, Dave Claus, and Howie Katz.