Professors Here Ready to Advise Stevenson Again

Adlal Stevenson's announcement that "I shall be a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination" yesterday brought acclaim and confidence from his supporters on the Faculty--along with indications that a Harvard "brain trust" will once again assist the former Illinois governor in his campaign.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History, revealed last night that an advisory group including several University professors met regularly with Stevenson up to September of this year. "Now that the campaign's on, the group will probably be revived in a different form," Schlesinger said.

Regarding his own plans, Schlesinger said that he is presently working to finish a work and doesn't yet know what his campaign role will be. However, he has already arranged to take a sabbatical leave for next year.

Meanwhile, three other professors who have participated in Stevenson's advisory group--Alvin H. Hansen, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Political Economy; Arthur A. Maas, associate professor of Government; and John Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics--could not be reached for comment on their roles in the campaign.

Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory and a close friend of Stevenson's, expressed confidence that the Democratic leader would easily win the nomination and the election.