Theatrical Clubs To Present Many Plays This Year

Local theatrical groups will be active this year, judging from the large number of plays selected this week. While the HDC named its winter play, a new drama group was formed, dedicated to the productions of Tennessee Williams, and the seven Houses started work on Christmas plays.

Arthur Miller's Pulitzer Prize-winning "Death of a Salesman" will be presented in Sanders Theatre March 17-24, under the direction of Stephen A. Aaron '57. Like "Murder in the Cathedral" two years ago, the Miller play will be staged in the "Classical Arena," the space now occupied by the center 257 seats in Sanders Theater.

Serious dramatic activity is not limited to the HDC, however. A new drama group, the brain-child of Harold R. Scott, Jr. '57, will form in the spring for the production of three one-act plays by Tennessee Williams.

"The Fight for Purity"

Scott envisages a new treatment for the three plays, which are "Auto da Fe," "Talk to Me Like the Rain and Let Me Listen," and "27 Wagons Full of Cotton." Scott hopes to bring out, "but the use of erotic sets and thumping drums," two themes of Williams: the fight for purity and the sex problem.

Meanwhile, the Houses are in the process of casting for the current Christmas plays. While Eliot and Dunster are both producing the "Second Shepherd's Play." Lowell will put on "Knight of the Burning Pestle," Adams will present "Alcestis," by Euripides, Leverett "An Evening With Saroyan," and Winthrop "The Birth of the Beautiful Typewriter Girl."