Winthrop Eleven Edges Funsters To Win Intramural Championship

A peppy Winthrop eleven came from behind yesterday to beat Dunster 13 to 6, and clinch the House football championship. The winning tally came in the fourth period, as halfback Al Lubetkin caught a Funster punt and ran 60 yards to cross the goal line.

By gaining the House championship, Winthrop earned the right to play the winning College at Yale next Friday. In games last night, Kirkland blanked Eliot 21 to 0, and Dudley squeezed by Leverett 6 to 0 on a fumble recovery with two minutes of play remaining in the game.

Dunster made the first touchdown of the championship game in the first period as the Puritans fumbled on their own ten and Dunster recovered. On the fourth down, George Douse passed to halfback Steve West, in the and zone, to make the score 6 to 0 for the Funsters.

After the first touchdown, however, Winthrop took over the game, scoring in the second and fourth quarters. Mark Abramowicsz caught a 30-yard pass from quarterback Ed Fogarty, and with a set-up block by team captain Paul Beatty, ran for the tying touchdown.

The spectacular punt return that won the game for Winthrop came in the first few minutes of the fourth quarter, as Dunster kicked from their own ten yard line. Lubetkin caught the punt, and with fine blocking support from the backfield, ran 60 yards to win the game and the championship.

Dudley's break in their game with Leverett last night came when center John Royne punted 50 yards to the Bunny 10. Leverett fumbled on their own five, and halfback Dick Barringer plunged from the three on in the second down.