Unbeaten Harvard, Cornell Fives to Open Ivy Schedule

By John E. Grady

The Crimson basketball team, undefeated in two games, opens its Ivy Basketball League schedule tonight against favored Cornell at Ithaca.

Coach Floyd Wilson expects to start the same five who started in Tuesday's victory over Northeastern. Bob Bowman will be at center, with Dick Hurley and "Ike" Canty at forward and Bob Hastings and Bob Barnett at the guard positions.

Cornell, picked to finish fifth in the Ivy League by a pre-season coaches' poll which chose the Crimson for seventh, will start an experienced team against the varsity. Like the Crimson, Cornell won its first two contests, beating Buffalo, 83 to 73, and Colgate, 82 to 76.

Rolles Stars for Cornell

Co-captain Chuck Rolles, who stands only 5 feet 6, is considered the star for the Big Red. Selected for the all-Ivy team last year, he has scored 49 points in the two victories. At the other forward for Cornell is 6 feet 4 Max Mattes, who just returned from the Army.

Six feet, five inch Ray Zelek, a hot-and-cold performer, will be in the pivot. Irv Roberson, a 6 feet 1 sophomore who averaged 29 points a game in high school competition, and co-captain Dick Meade will start at guard.

Coach Wilson was optimistic about the team in an interview yesterday. "We're a better team than we were last year, and I don't think Cornell is. I feel we should have beaten them in one of our games last winter, so we may not do badly at Ithaca."

Wilson added that he was "generally disappointed" with the squad's performance in the win over Northeastern. "About the only bright spot I saw was the play of Lou Lowenfels, a junior guard, who showed us he's ready to see a lot of action."