Union Closed to Freshmen by $15,000 Blaze

Workman's Acetylene Torch Sets Roof of Building on Fire

By Stephen R. Barnett

Fire chewed through the caves and partitions of the Harvard Union yesterday, sending streams of sprinkler and hose water down through the ceilings, causing from 12 to 15 thousand dollars worth of damage, and forcing some 1100 freshmen to eat their meals elsewhere at least until lunch today.

Freshmen last night descended on House and Harkness Commons dining halls in accordance with lists posted in the Yard. The Union will remain closed for breakfast today, but may re-open for lunch if William A. Heaman, Manager of the College Dining Halls, finds conditions suitable.

A notice on the Union door at noon will inform freshmen of the decision.

Yesterday's blaze began at approximately 11:30 a.m. when, according to Cambridge Fire Chief Henry Kilfoyle, a Buildings and Grounds worker who was repairing the Union roof accidentally ignited a portion of it with his blowtorch. The worker immediately went to a Massachusetts Avenue building for help. When he returned minutes later a cordon of three engine companies, two ladder companies, and one rescue company from the Cambridge Fire Department had surrounded the building.

Southwest Corner Burnt

By 2 p.m. the fire was out, having burned only some outside molding and roof beams at the southwest corner of the building. To get at the smoldering blaze, however, firemen had had to tear away walls, rip through ceilings, and shoot high-pressure water throughout the whole leaky structure. The result was extensive damage to plaster and furnishings on the upper floors and in the western half of the main dining room.

Cost Uncertain

The cost of such damage was still uncertain late yesterday, according to Cecil A. Roberts, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. Roberts explained that if the wall and ceiling plaster dries well ever the night it will need comparatively few repairs. On the other hand, he said, the whole dining hall ceiling might fall in, necessitating a very expensive restoration job.

Fire Chief Kilfoyle estimated, however, that the cost of repairing such chopped up portions of the building as the roof would probably bring the fire's total damage cost above $12,000.

Although it was the roof workman who caused the fire, the blaze was first reported by Heaman himself.