Favored Crimson to Meet Brown Swimmers Tonight

There will be some close swimming at the Blockhouse tonight: Brown will try to edge Crimson entries out of second place in three events. The Bruins, however, probably will not succeed in winning more than eight points--for finishing third where the varsity enters only two men.

The Bruin Cubs reach the pool first, to face the Yardlings at 7:30 p.m. Led by Alfred Chapman, an All-American backstroker as a schoolboy and a strong individual medley performer, the Brown freshmen should provide more opposition than its varsity will at 9 p.m.

Brown took only one first and one second against the Crimson last year, and the man who won both has graduated. The strength the visitors are left with centers around Dick Fogolson and Ira Levin in the 220 and 440, Joel Kane in the 50, and Art Scott in the backstroke. None has times comparable to the varsity's.

Crimson coach Hal Ulen will thus have the same problem he was faced with earlier against M.I.T. and will soon find against at Columbia. He will try to keep the score down, give as many of his squad members as possible a workout, and yet give the spectators a record to cheer about.

This meet was originally scheduled for Providence, but Ulen wanted all events to be run off and it is too shallow for diving at Brown's pool.