Watson Says Claverly Plan Will Continue

Each House to Have Entry For Overflow Sophomores

Sophomore assignments to Claverly Hall will be made "without regard to any special type of student" again this year, Robert B. Watson '37, Associate Dean of Students, said yesterday.

Although all sophomores applying to Houses will continue to be accepted, each House will assign a cross-section of sophomore to its entry in Claverly.

Housemasters will not make assignments to Claverly until next fall, when final figures on students who have dropped out during the summer will be available.

This year, Claverly contains 110 sophomores and 20 junior and seniors who have asked to remain there after sophomore residence.

The present policy was instituted two years ago to remove the stigma attached to Claverly, previously a dormitory for sophomores on probation. Claverly residents are now members of special entries in the individual Houses and can become residents within the House proper in their junior year.

"There is quite a difference between the present program and that of three years ago," Watson said.

Could Change House

Under the old system, freshmen who were rejected by the Houses of their choice received temporary assignments to Claverly for their sophomore year. They were affiliated with a House, but might be assigned to a different House the next year. Housemasters objected to this because they could not tell who would be in their Houses until fall.

Not only does the present plan eliminate the freshman's disappointment at not being accepted, but it has also eliminated the confusion resulting from unexpected fall vacancies.