Students' Petition Secures Advanced Math 1b Section

In response to student pressure for a harder course, the Department of Mathematics has established an advanced section in Math 1b to cover the essential materials of both Math 1b and 2a, Lynn H. Loomis, associate professor of Mathematics announced yesterday.

The Department's action came about through the granting of a petition for a combination of mathematics courses. In January, 75 men requested a class which would combine advanced analytic geometry and differential and integral calculus.

The new advanced section will go faster than the regular sections but it will remain a half-course. Loomis said that men who do satisfactory work in his class will probably be eligible to enter Math 2b in the fall.

The section, called "only an experiment" by Loomis, will have a separate final examination. The minimum requirement for admission to the class is an A or a B in Math 1a.

Approximately 65 students will be in the section.

Math 1a and 1b constitute the normal freshman survey course in Mathematics, although Mathematics 2a and 2b, a continuation of the material in Math 1, are demanded in most fields which require training in Mathematics.