Education School Staff Will Receive Pay Raise

Salary Increase Will Parallel $500 Given To Arts, Sciences

The Graduate School of Education will follow the lead of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences in raising the salaries of all men in the School, it was learned yesterday. The report was confirmed by Francis Keppel '38, Dean of the School, late yesterday.

Keppel said increases would be just as great as those in the Arts and Sciences school and in some cases will be even greater.

This means that all members of the Education School will receive at least a flat $500 annual increase in salary. It is assumed that greater increases will be given full professors who negotiate individually for salary raises.

The Corporation apparently approved the Education School raise simultaneously with that of the Arts and Sciences increase late last month. But, following past precedent, there has been no statement from University Hall on the question of salaries.

The faculty of Arts and Sciences first learned of the across-the-board rise at its weekly meeting on March 1. This date would seem to preclude the possibility that rises in the two faculties were influenced by the Ford Foundation's recent $50 million grant to aid University faculty salaries throughout the country.

Erwin Griswold, Dean of the Law School, and George H. Williams, Acting Dean of the Divinity School, where pay rises are also expected to take place, were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Luis Sert, Dean of the School of Design, said yesterday that his School would not now make any general increases in salaries. The Design School usually negotiates individually with each faculty member, he said.