Himmelhoch and Smith Win Titles In Intramural Fencing Tournament

Ralph Himmelhoch of Eliot and Kirby Smith of Thayer South won the House and freshman intramural foils competition last night at the I.A.B. The sabre and epee tournaments will be run tonight and tomorrow night, respectively.

In the House matches, Himmelhoch defeated Bill Kaden of Adams in a tense match, 5 to 4. Kaden, using his height to best advantage, took an early lead by holding Himmelhoch at bay with his long arms. However, Himmelhoch, trailing 4 to 2, began to carry the attack to his opponent with repeated thrust and extensions. With the score 4 to 4, he brought the match to a dramatic end when he thwarted a flourishing attack and touched Kaden.

Himmelhoch entered the finals by virtue of a 5 to 4 victory over Chris DelSesto of Adams. In his semifinal match, Kaden defeated Tony Provenzano of Eliot by the same score.

In the Yardling competition, Smith showed fine form in downing Pete Kuntz of Weld North, 5 to 3. While Smith drew a bye in the semifinal round, Kuntz had to defeat Barry Bandler of Thayer North to enter the finals.

A total of 38 entered the two tournaments with 18 contestants from the Houses and 20 from the Yard. About half the contestants were inexperienced.