U.S. Youth Lacks Political Interest Prevalent abroad

Study Says Personal success Is Major student Interest

American College students are more concerned with private success and less concerned with social, political, and international problems thank are foreign students, according to Gordon W. Allport, professor of Social Relations, and James A, Gillespie, an assistant professor at Colby College.

The professors made their claim in pamphlet, "Youth's Outlook on the future," to be published today.

The pamphlet's conclusions are based on a boll taken among American students and students form nine other nations in 1950. The American sampling was composed of 481 Harvard men, 97 Radcliffe women, and 215 students from Miami college of Ohio.

Pressure to improve one's social and professional status over that of one's parents exerts a strong influence on the American student, the report stated.

"Citizenship" Minor Aim

In his drive for this personal and worldly success, the American student separates himself from the political and social context of his existence. In answer to the question, "What two things could you conceivably accomplish during your lifetime that you would be most proud of?" only three percent of American students answered "Serving in national affairs" of "being a good citizen" to rank as the lowest percentage giving this reply among the ten nations polled.

The report also says that the "sensitive student" does not enter polities or the public service, as he is discouraged by corruption, demagoguery, and the conduct of loyalty investigations.

The American student is less interested in social problems than his foreign counterpart. In answer to the survey question, "If you should get a large sum of money five years from now, what would you do with it?" only two percent of American students indicated that they would use some of the money to alleviate social misery, again the lowest score of the ton nations.

Approximately half of these polled felt that a world war would break out within 15 years.