Worcester Quintet Beats Yardlings In Closely Played Contest, 66-65

Worcester Academy scored three foul shots in the last minute of play to defeat the freshmen basketball team, 66 to 65, yesterday in the I.A.B. Earl Jonas, a substitute forward, sank two free throws at 19:24 to break a 62-all tie. He added another foul shot ten seconds later before Tom Bernheim scored the final Crimson points on a lay-up with four seconds to play.

The Yardlings led, 84 to 29, at the half, but never held a commanding lead. The score was tied ten times and the lead changed hands on 16 other occasions. The taller crimson team fully controlled the backboards, taking 66 rebounds to Worcoster's 87, but the winners' superior ball-hadling and speed kept them in the contest.

Worcester scored first and led 13 to 12, after eight minutes. Tom Cooney led the attack by scoring eight points. The crimson then went ahead on two foul shots by Dick Nye. Tony Massari's push shots and dick Woolaton's rebounding kept the Yardlings ahead until half-time.

The freshmen had their biggest margin, of the afternoon after 12 minutes of the second half when Massari's pair of free throws gave them a six-point lead. But Worcester scored ten points in a row, and the victors.

Massari was the game's high scorer with 29 points. John Vail of the visitors had 19, Woolston scored 11, and Tom Bernheim 10.

Massari was the game's high scorer with 29 points, and Coonmey of the visitors was next with 27. Worcester's John Vail had 19, Woolston scored 11, and Bernheim 10. Other Yardlings to score were Nye with seven points, Tyl with four, Wolle and Montgomery two each.