History and Literature Field May Be Enlarged

More Concentrators May Be Permitted Starting With '58

The field of History and Literature will probably accept 15 more concentrators from the present freshmen class than were ever before admitted, Professor Myron P. Gilmore, chairman of the Committee of History and Literature, revealed yesterday.

The Committee on Educational Policy has endorsed a proposal to increase the quota in the field from 70 to 85, and the Faculty is expected to approve the plan at its May meeting.

Professor Gilmore pointed out that the College's enrollment has grown by about 1000 since the quota of concentrators, all of whom must be honors candidates, was set at 50 in 1931. The present limit includes 20 Radcliffe students per year. Gilmore noted that the Committee had to refuse more than 100 prospective concentrators last year because of the limit.

There is a possibility that the quota will increase still further in future years. Another proposal before the Faculty's May meeting would allow the Committee on History and Literature and the Committee on Educational Policy to fix the limit each year without specific Faculty approval.

"By this change, we hope to keep the number of concentrators flexible and more closely related to the demands on the field," Gilmore explained.

"Terribly Unrealistic"

Kenneth S. Lynn, chairman of the board of tutors in History and Literature, hailed the proposed changes, saying "History and Literature cannot be an ostrich with its head in the sand. It is terribly unrealistic for us to go on with a quota set nearly 25 years ago."

"The present quota is too severe, putting undue emphasis on freshman mid-year grades," he continued. "Those grades are not indicative of a student's intellectual potential." He said that he expected the new quota to relieve some of the grade pressure for prospective concentrators. He also saw some likelihood of a gradual increase in the number of concentrators in the future.

One additional tutor in History and Literature will be needed next year for the additional students, Gilmore added, and another will have to be added in each of the following two years to handle the growing numbers.