Stewart New Adams House Senior Tutor

Zeph Stewart will become Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Adams House next year, Dean Bundy announced yesterday, confirming a report made by the CRIMSON last January. Stewart was simultaneously named associate professor of Latin.

Stewart succeeds Joseph C. Palamountain, Jr., who will take a Government professorship at Wesleyan at the end of the academic year. Stewart's duties will commence at that time.

The two appointments make Stewart the first Senior Tutor holding a permanent University appointment. The 1951 Bender Report, which outlined the decentralization of the Dean's Office and set up the Senior Tutors, recommended that all Senior Tutors be permanent faculty members.

As Senior Tutor he will be director of the tutorial program of the House, and supervisor of advisor work with students. He will also administer the disciplinary program for House residents.

Stewart has been assistant professor of Latin and Greek, and Lowell House Resident Tutor in Claverly since 1953. He graduated from Yale in 1942 with Honors in Classics with exceptional distinction, and continued his classical studies at Harvard from 1947 to 1953, first as a graduate student and then as a Junior Fellow. He also served as a U. S. delegate to NATO from 1951 to 1953.

He has produced a study of Thucydides and Democritus, and is preparing a book on "Virgil as Poet."

In the past, several tutors have maintained that the duties of a Burr Tutor hampered the scholarly production necessary for promotion, and permanent appointees have been reluctant to accept positions as Senior Tutors.