Feeney Group Warns Pusey To Thwart Crimson Articles

Learned Feeney and his followers have informed President Pusey that he would be held personally responsible if the CRIMSON printed anything about Feeney's group.

To make the threat, two of Feeney's men interrupted a meeting of the Massachusetts Chapter of the Oxford Society, which Pusey was attending, held at the Signet Society Wednesday night. Police were subsequently assigned to guard Pusey's house and the CRIMSON for the evening.

The threat followed an attempt by a CRIMSON editor earlier Wednesday to find out whether lack of funds had forced Feeney and his group to vacate their headquarters on the corner of Bow and Arrow Streets, opposite Adams House.

Feeney told the editor, "I always try to be fair with everyone, but the CRIMSON has not been fair with me. The other day, some CRIMSON photographers took pictures of my building, and one of them was a Jew--and he admitted it ... Get out of here."

Excommunicated in '53

That evening, two members of Feeney's group, Temple Morgan, a former Harvard student, and Hugh McIssac, called President Pusey's home, and not finding him in, went to the Signet Society. They were subsequently escorted from the Dunster Street building by Mason Hammond '25, Pope Professor of Latin Language and Literature, and Samuel Beer, professor of Government.

The reporter approached Feeney to check a rumor that one follower has recently been declared mentally incompetent and thus considered unable to manage his estate. Since the follower apparently helped support the group appreciably in the past, Feeney has reportedly had to give up the hall. This rumor has not been confirmed.

Feeney was excommunicated from the Church in February, 1953, for teaching that only Catholics could attain salvation. His group, the "Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary," adhere to that doctrine and refuse to believe that he has been excommunicated.

Feeney was once a distinguished and respected Jesuit priest.