Citizens Plan End of Illegal Night Parking

By Bruce M. Reeves

An all-out war on the "terrible overnight student parking" around Winthrop, Leverett, and Dunster Houses will begin next Thursday night.

In response to protests from Cambridge citizens in the College area, City Councilman Edward J. Sullivan has called a meeting of all residents near the Houses for the formation of plans to clear the surrounding streets of students' cars illegally parked overnight.

The open meeting will be held at 8 p.m. on Thursday night at 135 Banks Street.

The City Council, also concerned with the overnight parking problem, yesterday voted to reconsider an old proposal which would allow overnight parking on alternate sides of the street each night.

Provide for Trial Period

The reconsideration provides for a 30-day trial period involving selected streets, three of which surround Winthrop and Leverett Houses, and is scheduled for an ordinance meeting within two weeks.

The primary purposes of the Order, introduced by Mayor John J. Foley two years ago, are to alleviate the fire hazard of narrow streets and provide for easier street cleaning.

Sullivan said last night that he still opposed Foley's Order and that he planned to present another plan which would adequately provide for street-cleaning.

"We'll have to tackle the overnight parking problem some other way," he said, "especially in my district around Harvard. I think the only solution is to ask the University to prohibit the students from keeping cars. Most other colleges don't allow them."

The Council last fall voted down a proposal of Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 which would have permitted overnight parking on the city streets for a monthly fee of $2.

At that time Sullivan suggested that only seniors at the College be permitted to have cars.

Charles C. Pyne, Assistant to the Administrative Vice-President, said that the University would have no objections to any parking ordinance which complied with Harvard's safety conditions.