Collins Scheduled to Pitch Against M.I.T. as Yardlings Seek Second Win

A strong hitting and good fielding Yardling baseball team meats M.I.T. at 3:45 p.m. today on the Crimson diamond with Dave Collins on the mound.

Freshman coach Adolph W. Samborski has few worries about his offensive and defensive departments, but admits "I'd like to see the pitching come along better." Although in two games this year, the Yardlings have scored 24 runs to the opposition's 12, they lost to the New Hampshire freshmen in the opening game because of poor pitching.

Infielders Frank Saia, Bob Clearly, Tom Bergantino, and Stu Levine are the strongest part of the team. Saia at third base handles his fielding chores more than adequately and batting second is a potentially excellent hitter. Shortstop Bergantine leads off and has been turning in solid performances at the plate

"Clearly, the second basemen, is probably the steadiest hitter on the squad," says Samborski. Clearly bats third. An All-New York City player last year, Stu Levine covers third base and hits well from his sixth spot in the line-up.

Walt Stahura combines speed and hitting power in the cleanup to hold center-field, but the other two starting outfield positions continue to be doubtful as five men battle for the jobs. At present, Hugh Slotkin is in right and batting seventh, and Ken Hathaway, who has three hits for three at bats, plays in left. However, Jim Shue, Mike Harrington, and Bob Montgomery are serious contenders for these positions.

John Davis has been catching and batting eighth. "He's a fine backstop, and when he fires down to second, the pitcher has to hit the dirt" remarked Samborski.

The pitching staff includes right handers Dave Brigham, Herb Shiner, John Stimpson, Collins, Bill Meehan, and southpaws Don Hoffman and Steve Rhoades. Brigham and Hoffman started in the only two freshman games to date.