Pusey Cities Need For Considering Influx of Students

President Pusey yesterday affirmed that the University of today cannot divorce itself from the surge of students that will soon be of college age.

He joined A. Whitney Griswold, president of Yale, and Harold W. Dodds, president of Princeton, in agreeing that there is strong need for quality education at a time when the college population is steadily growing.

The presidents of the Big Three universities addressed members of the Yale News in New Haven last night.

Griswold said that Yale, which had previously put itself on the record as opposed to large scale expansion, would nevertheless "grow moderately."

He further stated that Yale seeks to support and strengthen its liberal education, to balance the arts and sciences, and "to seek the best of both college and university" so that the vitalizing spirit of the college may be refined by the more sophisticated students.

Although Pusey again seemed to indicate that Harvard would in the future have to expand to meet the rising number of applicants, he nevertheless, added that the private universities must "work for quality in an increasingly difficult situation."

Dodds said that "the spirit of liberal learning" is what binds a college together and emphasized that the universities must continue to realize this in the midst of the pressures of vocational education.

In talking of problems 25 to 30 years from new, Griswold noted that "it is easy to mesmerize oneself with numbers. But it is foolish to consider expansion for its won sake."