History Dept. Adds Six New Courses in '55-'56

Four Major Fields Also Plan Additions

The History Department will offer six new courses next year, more than any of the other four major fields, but at least one additional course will be offered in each of the others, Economics, English, Government, and Social Relations.

The new courses are listed in the proofs for the 1955-56 course catalog, which were released yesterday by the Committee on the Choice of Electives.

None of the six History courses fall in American History, but range from Russia to Canada in subject matter. History 158, History of Russian Imperial Policy, will be given by Richard E. Pipes, Research Associate in the Russian Research Center, and will cover both Czarist and Soviet imperialism. John J. Conway, assistant professor of History, will teach History 173, History of Canada from 1763 to 1939.

Bundy to Continue Teaching

Besides offering one new course, the Department of Government announced that Dean Bundy, who is also professor of Government, definitely will teach part of Government 185. The United States in World Politics. H. Bradford Westerfield, instructor in Government, will also teach the course, but it had been previously expected that Dean Bundy would not have the time to teach.

The new Government course in Government 118, Government and Politics of Southeast Asia, which will be given by Rupert Emerson '22, professor of Government, and Guy J. Pauker, lecturer on Government.

New courses in Economics include Economics 114, Economics of the Middle East, which will be given by A. J. Meyer, instructor in Government, and Economics 121, Introduction to Quantitative Methods, for which no instructor has yet been selected.

The English Department will offer for the first time English 163a and 163b, Twentieth Century Poetry, for which no instructor has been named, and English Yb, Playwriting, to be given by Robert H. Chapman, assistant professor of English.