Crimson Will Face Slugging Navy Nine at Soldiers Field

The baseball team, whose Colgate game was rained out yesterday, goes after its third straight Eastern League will this afternoon when it meets defending champion Navy at Soldiers Field at 3.

The Crimson, currently tied with Yale for first in the Ivy League, will probably rely on ace fastballer Andy Ward to stop the powerful Navy attack. There is a slight possibility, however, that Ken Rossano, slated to pitch yesterday, may start instead of Ward.

Navy's strong offense has managed to win only one of three Eastern League games, but the Middies should not be taken lightly, for they have bunched their hits for as many as 23 runs in a game.

Starters Average .355

The Navy infield supplies most of the punch in the lineup, with three men hitting over .400. Second baseman Bill Purcotte leads the team with the startling figure of .485. Third sacker Wilson Spangler is next at .452, followed by shortstop Larry Manger at .424, and first baseman Phil Monahan at .864. The eight Navy regulars have a combined batting average of .355.

On the other hand, the Crimson has only three .300 hitters, but the team has capitalized on enemy errors and bases on balls and come through with clutch hits to supplement its fine pitching to compile an overall record of eight wins and two defeats, compared to Navy's mark of five victories and three losses.

Monday the varsity faces last year's NCAA Eastern Regional champion, Northeastern, in an away game.