Leverett Crew Wins Its First Title In 24 Years of House Competition

A crew of out-and-out Leverett amateurs yesterday captured their House's first crew championship in the 24-year history of House rowing. Not one of the eight oarsmen who stroked the light Bunny shell to its first title since 1922 has ever rowed on a varsity crew.

The Leverett eight, stroked by junior Gerry Schade, defeated Dunster, defending champion Eliot--ten times winner of the House crown--Kirkland, and Lowell by open water over the smooth Charles Rive. Winning time for the mile race was 5:49.2.

This Saturday the Leverett crew will meet Yale's Berkeley College for the House-College championship.

In the House jayvee race yesterday Eliot's eight finished ahead of Kirkland, Dunster, and Leverett in that order over the three-quarter mile course. Time was 4:56.4.

Highlight of the first-boat race was Dunster's beautiful closing sprint. Trailing the pack with half a mile remaining, the Funsters took power tens and raised the stroke as they eased past Lowell, Kirkland, and finally Eliot. Three feet separated the two crews as they crossed the finish line. Leverett, which led all the way, ended a quarter of a length of open water ahead of second-place Dunster.

Neither the Bunny coxswain or bow man Bill Ginalski, had competed in crew before this season's practice began four weeks ago. Senior Jim Barrett coached the winning eight.