Navy, MIT Beat Crimson 150 Crew As Junior Varsity, Yardlings Win

Navy and M. I. T. finished ahead of Coach Derrick Wilde's varsity lightweight crew, but his freshman and jv boats took two of the Crimson's three victories on a windy Charles River Saturday afternoon. All the 150 races covered the mile and five-sixteenths Henley course.

Tech, Dartmouth, and the varsity were racing for the Indians' Biglin Bowl which M. I. T. won by outsprinting the Crimson in the last quarter mile. But Navy, which was not competing for the Bowl, jumped to an early lead and pulled ahead of the other three shells in the first half mile of the race. The Middies won by a length in 6:54.

The varsity after momentarily challenging the midshipmen for the lead, slipped into last place as Dartmouth and Tech fought for second. Only after stroke Larry Cabot raised the cadence from 37 to 40 did the varsity pass Dartmouth in the last 400 yards. Tech, however, held off the Crimson's challenge, finishing in 6:58.1 to the varsity's 6:58.2.

In the junior varsity race M. I. T. and the Crimson battled for first while Dartmouth fell a length and one half behind. At the mile, a crab on the port side slowed the Tech shell. That made the difference as Crimson stroke John Hadik moved his boat ahead by a quarter length finishing in 7:06.1.

The freshmen remained undefeated, winning their second race of the season by over a length on Tech and five lengths over the Indians. The Yardlings were only three seats up on Tech at the half mile, though Dartmouth had already fallen a length behind. But at the three-quarter mile mark their shell came alive and hitting a steady 32 opened a length on M. I. T. to beat the Engineers in 7:02.

The Crimson boatings were:

Varsity lightweights: Larry Cabot, stroke; Bob Volpe, seven; Bruce Dixon, six; George Ross, five; Captain Bill Coughlin, four; Dick Timpson, three; Jack Henshaw, two, Barry Bingham, bow; George Notter, cox.

Freshman Leightweights: Bob Foley, stroke; Captain Viggo Bettelson, seven; David Sutherland, six; Bob Tyler, five; George Krumbharr, four; Larry Coolidge, three; Hallam Smith, two; Tom Sheffield, bow; Warren Sharmat, cox.