Rittenburg Takes Five Track Events As Varsity Wins

Captain Bob Rittenburg captured five events Saturday as he led the Crimson track team to a 118.22 slaughter of Brown at Providence.

Coach Bill McCurdy, preparing his team for this week's Heptagonal championships at Princeton, tried some new combinations in the victory over the hapless Bruins. The varsity responded by taking first place in all but two events, and gaining all the places in five events.

Aided by a strong wind, Rittenburg captured the 100 yard dash, the high and the low hurdles, the broad jump, and the high jump. His victory in the dash was his first effort at that distance. He was timed in 10 seconds flat. His other times were very good--a 14.8 for the high hurdles, and 23.1 for the lows. He jumped 22-8 in the broad jump and six feet in the high jump.

In addition there were two double winners for the Crimson: Renny Little in the 220 and 440, and Art Siler in the discus and shot put. Phil Williams defeated Dick Wharton in the half mile; Dave McLean edged Don French in the two mile; Ken Wilson defeated Otis Gates in the mile; Kip Smith defeated Don Richards in the pole vault. The Crimson also won the mile relay.

The Yardlings, coming from behind on French Anderson's anchor quarter in the mile relay, defeated Brown, 70 to 69.