225 Will Get A.B. Degrees At 'Cliffe's Commencement

Phillip Young, chairman of the U.S. Civil Service Commission, will address the 73rd annual commencement of Radcliffe College in Sanders this morning, as 225 members of the class of 1955 receive Bachelor of Arts degrees.

The academic procession will include 115 candidates for graduate degrees and 73 members of the Management Training Program, in addition to the graduating class. Clementina Kuhlman, president of Radcliffe's Student Government, and Eleanor Bronson, president of the senior class, will lead the parade from the Radcliffe Yard across Cambridge Common to Sanders. The commencement exercises will begin at 11 a.m.

Mrs. John M. Maguire, college marshal, will lead the officers and trustees of the college. Mrs. Henry D. Aiken is marshal for graduate students, and Louise Petrovsky is marshal for members of the Management Training Program.

Six Summas

Six seniors will receive their degrees summa cum laude, in contrast to only one three years ago. Together with magna and cum laude degrees, the number of seniors receiving their diplomas with honors will approximate the 48 percent of last year.

The Jonathan Fay diploma will be awarded to a senior who has high scholastic rank and who has made a significant extra-curricular contribution to the student life of the college.

At 9:15 a.m. in the Ghirlandajo Room of Agassiz, the Radcliffe chapter of Phi Beta Kappa will initiate an as yet undisclosed number of new members from the graduating class. Twelve seniors have already been elected to the chapter, six this year and six last year.

Following the commencement exercises, each dormitory will hold a luncheon for graduates and their families.

Class Night

Last night the Radcliffe Yard was bedecked with vari-colored Japanese lanterns for the traditional Senior Class Night, highlighted by the presentation of the Class Banner to freshman representatives.

Members of the class wore caps and gowns over formal dress. The Senior Class dance at Agassiz followed the Class Night exercises.