'30 Wrestles Lobsters at Essex Club, Eats, Drinks, Nurses Tired Muscles

The Class of 1930 invaded Essex County Club yesterday and fought a brief but inspired battle with 1,400 lobsters (each red monster weighed in at a full 1 1/2 pounds. Tusseling under the white circus tent, on the golf course, and in the tennis courts, the members of '30 were in their finest hour.

Perfect administration insured the successful assault on Essex, Magnolia Beach, and the Manchester Yacht Club. The fleet of buses and its motorcycle escort fled from Cambridge shortly after 9 a.m., carrying picnickers not mobilized in cars. All day, low murky clouds and cool breezes threatened to bring rain, but fortunately the spirits remained high and not dampened.

Tennis enthusiasts filled the lawn courts, and the golfers roamed from sand traps to the 19th hole. Many, of course, were content to wander about, shake hands, indulge, and just look. Every convenience was available to insure all such activities. The police, for example, cheerfully filled in at the softball game when players took brief dashes to the lobster tables.

Beachcombing, Athletics

Shuttle buses took aspiring beachcombers over to Singing Beach, where icy dips were available, and to the Manchester Yacht Club for boating. The younger crew romped at Magnolia Beach, while over 100 of the elder jostled together in '30's version of the square dance.

An excellent exhibition tennis match was one of many competitions, and although a complete list of winners is unavailable, it is suspected that everyone had at least one victory. The court contests of '30 were not unrivaled by its younger generations' courting.

On the links, W. E. Hutton had the best gross score for nine holes, while Elmer Rasmusson won the men's blind bogey as Priscilla Dwinnell captured the women's. Bob Ornsteen and Marian Ware were winners in the driving competition, and Peter Davis copped the putting award.

Despite '30's consumption of hot clam chowder, 250 pounds of salads, and 150 dozen rolls, the First Aid Station reported that "things were generally quiet." Under the beverage canopy, 50 quarts of liquor disappeared, along with some 30 cases of soda pop. Joseph D. McCarthy (no relation) was again Field Marshal of Spirits, and supplied the details for those entranced by statistics. Bourbon was most popular, rye the least, and martinis led Manhattans, although the margin narrowed late in the afternoon.

To Have and to Hold

"Two years ago," McCarthy said, "the group had a huge consumption at Essex, and then fell to almost nothing. '30 is going slower, but it's more consistent."

McCarthy also said "'30 can hold their own with '24 (long regarded as champs)." On the other hand, he believed "this class is much better about not showing the effects."

The evening officially concluded at 9 p.m., when the last of the buses began winding their way back to the Square. But unofficial reports indicate activity was unabated this morning when the moon gave way to the eastern glow.