Virtue, Motherhood, and '30

The CRIMSON feels about the theory of twenty-fifth reunions the way it does about Virtue and Motherhood--it isn't safe to attack any of them publicly. Not that there is any particular urge to attack, but the question just never arises. We assume that a twenty-fifth reunion is a Good Thing because anything of such monolithic proportions simply must have merit. And yet, there is certainly an air of organized fun about the reunion proceedings, and that is one of the CRIMSON'S pet bugbears. The proprietors of this column early appointed themselves guardians of social individuality, and have fought, tooth and typewriter, against the encroachments of Fraternity spirit. At first blush, the Reunion, with its loudspeakers, strict programs and officious officials seems a most virulent form of disciplined jollity. Why, then, is the CRIMSON not at war?

For one thing, the Editors realize that their elders have probably lost the genius of spontaneous good times. Bearing the world's weight (and possibly the expense of our education) for twenty-five years has, perhaps, dulled the sense of merriment that allows one to seek out his own amusement. Our elders must be led in pleasure as they lead others in business. So much for the objection to the organizational aspects of the five-day regimented spree.

On the more positive side, the Editors stand in absolute awe and amazement at the Reunioners' ability to muster the high seriousness which we have always considered a peculiarly undergraduate property. At most other schools "reunion" means fatuous old fellows cavorting in beanies, and that is a very comforting thought for any young man who would cleave to the notion of irresponsible middle age. Instead of constant revels, however, we are faced with the sight of Harvard Reunioners attending symposia and discussing the problems of the University and the world with a virtuosity and vocabulary that we, again, thought the special property of undergraduates. This is a hard blow to student ego.

The CRIMSON, then, is willing to suspend its traditional hostility to organization and to admit its admiration, however astonished, for the sense, sensibility and sensitivity of the Reunioners. There, but for twenty-five years, go we.