Varsity Nine to End Season Against Tufts, Amherst, Yale

After a long exam period layoff, the varsity baseball team swings back into action this week with games against Tufts and Amherst. Following those contests, the squad will play Yale twice, at Soldiers Field a week from Wednesday and in New Haven two weeks from today.

This Friday the Crimson moves to Medford to meet a Tufts nine which has compiled a mediocre 7-9 record so far this season. Jumbo righthander John McGrath, who held the varsity to five hits and only one earned run in a losing effort earlier this season, is expected to hurl for Tufts, against either Andy Ward or Ken Rosano. Top batters for the Jumbos are McGrath, first baseman Dick Murphy, and second sacker Fran O'Brien.

Saturday the squad travels to Amherst to meet the Lord Jeffs, who tied for the Little Three championship with Wesleyan this year. Although Amherst's season record shows eight losses against nine victories, the Lord Jeffs hold a 1-0, 11-inning decision over Yale, which defeated the varsity, 8-2, in the squad's final pre-exam contest.

A week from Wednesday, the nine will again face Yale at Soldiers Field before a capacity crowd of alumni. Andy Ward, whose one defeat this season came at the hands of the Elis, will probably get a chance to avenge this blot on his record.

The varsity will close out the most successful Crimson baseball season in more than 20 years before a reunion crowd of old Bulldogs at New Haven two weeks from today. Should Ward go well against the Elis here, Coach Norm Shepard will probably send him against the Bulldogs again in New Haven.

If the team wins all of the remaining four contests, it will finish the season with a record of 20 wins and only three defeats.