Pusey Asks Assistance For School of Education

Lack of Funds and Space Hamper Program; His Report Reveals Shift in Emphasis

By Steven R. Rivkin

The University should seek to strengthen the program of the Graduate School of Education in the near future to help counter the nation's shortage of teachers, according to President Pusey's third annual report, released this morning. His statement indicates plans for a shift in emphasis from rebuilding of the Divinity School to improving facilities for teacher training.

Mr. Pusey also called for the construction of at least one new House to reduce undergraduate crowding. In addition, his report contained a favorable evaluation of General Education after the graduation of the first class taught under the program.

"The time has come," he said, "to provide (the Education School) with an adequate physical plant to respond to increased demands being made on it," the President said.

While the Divinity School "has been able to come again into a fully worthy position within the University," he added, the School of Education has been conducting its increasingly important program "largely on temporary funds, in hopelessly inadequate and outmoded physical facilities."

In recent years, admissions to the School have tripled, the President continued. For the future, however, "the Graduate School of Education can never expect to make a substantial contribution to the hopelessly large quantitative aspect" of filling the nation's need for competent teachers. "What we can hope to do," he said, "is to send a few more individuals of high ability to work in the field."

Divinity Goals Neared

At the Divinity School last year enrollment reached the highest in the School's history for the second consecutive year, representing a "substantial improvement in the quality of the student body along with the increase in numbers." In addition, the Dean and the Faculty of the School have already raised $5 million of the $6 million needed to restore the Divinity program.

In another area of his report, the President called the building of at least one new House a "matter of urgent necessity." Enrollment in the Houses has increased by more than 1000 students in the last fifteen years, he said.

Also in the past year, the University received gifts totaling almost $17 million, more than in any other year except 1950. Over 12,000 men and women studied at the University, and the library system now contains over 6 million books, the report said.