Melish's Activities At College Show Liberal Leanings

The undergraduate liberal tendencies of Rev. William H. Melish '31 prefaced a feud with the Episcopal Church which flared into open revolt last Sunday. Melish openly defied his Bishop by conducting two services in The Holy Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church of Brooklyn after he had been officially ousted.

Melish supporters forced the church's looked doors and her conducted the first service in competition with a substitute appointed by Bishop Pernette DeWolfe. The substitute abandoned his efforts midway in the ceremony.

Lack of Quorum

Six of the church's nine vestrymen had met previously and voted Melish out-because of his liberal policies. Melish, who is assistant rector, condemned the vote as illegal because of the lack of a quorum. He then appealed to Bishop DeWolfe. His argument was disregarded and the substitute appointed.

While an undergraduate, Melish participated in several libral organizations. He was president of the Socialist Club, a member of the Executive Committee of the Liberal Club, and he was editor of the newspaper: "The Socialist." A New York Times report Monday that Melish was "a squash player of some eminence while at college," was wrong.

Long Dispute

Melish told, in his 20th anniversary college biography, how his dispute with his parishioners and with higher Episcopal Church authorities first arose in 1949. "For nearly two years my father and I have been involved in a unique parish situation which has become something of a 'cause celebre' in the religious world." Melish's father, John Howard Melish, was ousted from the same church for supporting the "pro-communist" activities of his son.

Melish's war-time activities were listed in his 15th anniversary report to the college. He worked for the Russian War Relief, the National Council of American-Soviet Friendship, and he made 235-speeches through America and Canada promoting friendship for Russia. These and "pro-communist" activities since the war prompted Melish's dismissal.