Course Nicknames Might Replace Numbers As Catalog Merges With Confidential Guide

Avant-Guerard Move

By Richard T. Cooper

Rumor followed Dean Bundy's happy-heeled tuition announcement out of University Hall just as the green doors closed last night to the effect that Registrar Sargent Kennedy's "Course Catalogue" will next year begin a limited merger with the "Confidential Guide."

The merger would retain the basic format of the existing catalogue, but would incorporate certain descriptive titles to replace the numbers now used. "The Registrar's staff collected the names by secret poll," as an informant in the registrar's office said.

Among those names will be such perennial nomens as "Rice Paddies" (Asian Civilization), "Wagonwheels" (The Westward Movement) and "Boats" (History of Oceanography), plus "Lumberjacks" and "Cops and Robbers" (Natural Resources and Problems in Criminology), according to the source.

Thus the squib on Fine Arts 13 may read: Full personal introduction to arts and sciences performed by Fowie, Coolidge, and Clive Inc.--Darkness at Noon."

Similarly, Comp Lit 166 will be modified to combine description and the name of the lecturer, becoming "Avant Guerard," and Slavic 155 will be reduced to "Tolstoyevsky."

To strengthen the University policy of intergrating subjects. Physics 12c will turn literary and call itself "The Sound and the Furry." Also Nat. Sci. 3 in expected to become "Copernicus and Me," and Anthre 1 "Life With Father."

Acknowledging the influence of creeping antennae, Soc Rel 152 (Mass Communication) will be labeled "Flicks and TV," while two courses will model themselves after notorious television features: English 123 will be "Lunch With Levin" and Soc Sci 1 will be "Breakfast with Brinton."

Following the current Washington trend toward catchy slogans, Soc Rel 145 will be "Mommy and Daddy," Soc Rel 182 (Abnormal Psychology) will change to "Us' n" and Caribbean History to "Bananas."

More in the descriptive tradition, Soc Rel 183 will be "Analyze Your Roommate," and Economics 161 (Industrial Organization) becomes "The Urge to Merge.