THE MYSTERIOUS EAST

The Press

Editor's Note: Study is not the only concern of university students. They are young and romantic, and mature enough to think of marriage. The Mita Campus distributed a questionnaire, and the following are ideals of one thousand Keio students: LOVE-MARRIAGE IS FASHIONABLE--Both men and women students believe that from love to marriage is the best way. Few believed the traditional Japanese "interview marriage" is good. Thoughts of people about marriage have changed. They know that mutual affection is more fundamental than things such as birth, property, etc. Are love affairs and marriages two different things? Many answers, specially those of men, were affirmative. Does this mean a decline in the morals of the younger generation? On the contrary, they are very serious and prudent about getting married. Women, however, may be blamed for being too fanciful.

. . . Then what is the idea of a perfect husband or wife for a Keie student? For a man, future wife must love her husband heart and soul. She must be a woman of good tastes. And she must be beautiful and healthy and naive at the same time.

As to women's opinions, the outline is similar to those of men. Appearance is unimportant but profession is of concern. It seems that women are seeking something to depend upon in order to live as comfortably as possible. We hope not. That cannot be so. . . .

married life! The Mita Campus, "Students Own Periodical in English," Affection is the key to everything. May every one of us students have a happy Keie University, Tokyo, November, 1955