Jumbos Exhibit Strong Ground Offense in First Test of Season

Tufts unrolled a previously well-guarded potent running attack Saturday as the Jumbos trampled an inept Bowdoin squad, 23 to 0. The Crimson meets Tufts in its season opener Saturday.

The Jumbos, visibly pointing for this week's contest, totalled 362 yards rushing, while limiting Bowdoin to only 35. Tufts, obviously withholding plays from the prying eyes of Crimson scouts, attempted only 12 passes and completed four, one of them good for a touchdown.

Norman Wright, Jervis Burznis and Paul Abrahamian picked up most of the Tufts running yardage,, while Richard Fortin, George Kurker, and Burznis each scored for the Jumbos.

Four of the Crimson's other seven 1956 varsity football opponents triumphed Saturday in the opening of the first season in the new official Ivy League. Only Cornell, Columbia, and Penn failed to register wins in their first contests.

Cornell, a 20-7 victor over the Crimson last year, fell before Colgate, 34 to 6. Brown had little trouble with Columbia, 20 to 0, in the first Ivy League game.

Two lateral tosses by sophomore Jim Burke gave Dartmouth a 13-0 victory over underdog New Hampshire, hampered by an inexperienced backfield. Penn showed little in dropping its nine-teenth straight game, to Penn State, 34 to 0.

Princeton scored almost at will before substituting its third string in rolling up an impressive 28-6 win over Rutgers. The Tigers held Rutgers within its own thirty yard line for the entire first three periods.

Yale became the question mark of the Ivy loop as unheralded Connecticut came dangerously close to upsetting the reportedly strong Elis, 19 to 14. The Blue was in trouble throughout the contest, and trailed 14 to 6 at the half. The game ended with UConn on the Yale three yard line.