Tufts' J.V. Fumbles Six Times But Downs Crimson Eleven, 13-0

The junior varsity football team, equipped with just five workable offensive plays, dropped a routine match to a fumbling Tufts eleven yesterday, 13 to 0.

The victory was hardly a decisive one for the Jumbo squad, which lost the ball no less than six times to the Crimson on fumbles. The margin was a result of the jayvees' inability to provide even a weak offense against Tufts' spotty defense.

For the Crimson, halfback Tom Lawson, a sophomore, turned in the game's outstanding performance and showed that he certainly deserves another look from the varsity coaches.

The loss itself showed only that J.V. coaches Norm Shepherd and Henry Lamar will have to teach the squad more than just how to scrimmage the varsity if it is to win any of its games.

Operating from Tufts' own T-formation the team used only four power plays and one pass play effectively and fumbled the ball any time it tried to use some sort of deception play.

Lawson counted for a few 15-yard gains on these line plays and was backed by some hard plunges from fullback Micky Maguire. But never could the Crimson put together enough offense to threaten the Tufts lead seriously.

The Jumbos scored once in the first period after a hard 70-yard march and led at the half, 6 to 0. The second touchdown came in the final quarter on a 35-yard touchdown pass which caught the Crimson completely unaware.