Council Plans Enlarged Activities Owing to Big Increase in Funds

Over $5000 in Till

By Richard T. Cooper

The Student Council last night went into its first meeting of the term with the results of a record-setting Registration Fund Drive in the till, and celebrated its unaccustomed prosperity by mapping out a broad program of activities for the coming year.

Canvassing in Memorial Hall netted the Council $5571.28, with the prospect of further revenue from a forthcoming "pledge" letter to be sent to all students in the College. Freshman contributions reached $3296, almost $300 more than last year, and upper-class contributions surpassed last year by nearly $700, totaling $2275.28.

Council Treasurer Albert F. Hofeld, Jr. '58 emphasized the increase in upper class donations, which he attributed to the Council's general record. He credited the bottleneck at the lone exit from Memorial Hall with increasing Freshman response. "They just had to stand there," he explained.

Largest single expenditure was an estimated $600 connected with a 13-1 vote to continue membership in the National Student Association. An amendment designed to increase the representative character of NSA was unanimously attached.

Of the estimated $600 expense, $150 is slated for national and regional dues, about $400 for delegate expenses at the National Convention, and the rest for participation in regional projects.

In further spending, nearly $450 was authorized for financing three-to-five full page reports in the CRIMSON. Spaced two months apart, these Student Council Reports will replace the defunct Harvard Quarterly. The new format was proposed and will be directed by Carl Sloane '58.

Council action was also planned in a publicity drive for the Student Activities Center, in the multi-million dollar University Fund Drive, in relationship with other universities, and in a study of the University's relationship with the town.