Fine, Probation Face Automobile Owners Who Dodge Registration

Crackdown Next Week

By Philip M. Boffey

Students who fail to register their cars with the University police by the end of the week face a twenty-five dollar fine and possible probation if they are caught, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services, warned yesterday.

He added that the University would cooperate closely with the city in cracking down on parking violators "in the immediate future."

"We are going to be especially tough on students who do not register this year," Trottenberg said. "With a new cross-referencing system we should be able to catch most of the students who plan to hide behind an out-of-state license."

The new system enables the police to ascertain readily the owner of any out-of-state car which is parked suspiciously near the Harvard area. The police have always been able to look up the owners of Massachusetts cars.

Parking Panic

Meanwhile, signs of panic appeared in the student body. As a result of a warning that each student who has registered a car will have to state the location of his overnight parking facility on a questionnaire by Nov. 19, the University's lots were completely filled two days after upperclass registration. Last year they took a month to fill.

About 60 people have tried to obtain University parking space in vain, and have been placed on a waiting list. Trottenberg was unable to predict what will happen if they fail to get a space. "A few on the list will probably be able to get into the lots," he said, "but we won't know what will be done about the others until after the questionnaires come in on Nov. 19."