Handicap Records Broken

Both varsity and freshman records for the University Handicap Race fell yesterday afternoon as 13 members of the varsity cross country team, 17 Yardlings, and three others from the University ran the 3.3 mile riverside course.

Junior Pete Reider, running from scratch, covered the distance in 17 minutes, 11 seconds to break the record for the race, 18 minutes, 34.5 seconds, set in 1954 by Bill Morris.

Actually, Reider placed third in the meet, as freshmen Pat Liles, with a four minute handicap, and Dave Call, with two minutes, placed first and second.

Ed Martin had the best freshman time, running with a one and one-half minute handicap. Martin's adjusted time for the course was 18:40, eclipsing the Yardling race record set in 1954 by Reider. The old record was 19:14.5.

McLean Second

Second to Rieder in actual time was varsity Captain Dave McLean, who finished in 17:46, while junior Dave Norris finished third in 17:49. Sophomore Jim Schlaeppi finished fourth for the varsity, running his best race of the season. His time was 18:13. Right behind Schlaeppi came Ralph Perry, a junior who had been sidelined with a pulled muscle.

Sophomore Mac Brown, and seniors Bob Holmes and Dick Wharton were the only others to run the course in under 19 minutes.

For the Yardlings, Wes Hildreth placed second to Martin with a time of 19:00, and Call placed third in 19:06. Jake Slepian placed fourth with a time of 19:14.5.

Coach Bill McCurdy said that the three times under 18 minutes represent the best varsity times this early in the season in his memory.