Dean to Sue If City Cuts School Funds

Shaplin Threatens Curry on Finances

By George H. Watson

The University's sole participant in Cambridge city government has threatened a taxpayer's suit if City Manager John J. Curry attempts to slice the 1957 school department budget.

Judson T. Shaplin '42, Assistant Dean of the School of Education and an elected member of Cambridge's School Committee, made the threat after Curry refused to assume responsibility for expenses which the committee contends are not connected with education.

Last year, Curry reportedly made numerous cuts in the school budget although the School Committee is supposed to have sole authority over its recommended appropriations.

The Thursday committee meeting also referred to budget session Shaplin's proposals for staff improvements for the newly-built Fitzgerald School.

Shaplin stated that the school requires a full-time science teacher, two physical education instructors, a secretary, custodians, and a recreation supervisor before it can function properly.

In addition, the meeting referred a plan of Mayor Edward J. Sullivan to increase salaries of all school employees by ten percent and a plan of the local Teachers' Club to revise the salary schedule.

The School Committee is also engaged in a dispute with the City Manager over the date for submission of next year's budget.