Group to Aid Free Hungary Plans Organization Tonight

Will Circulate Petition

Provisional plans were drawn last night by a group of six students to form a Committee for Free Hungary in the University in order "to seek aid and support for the Hungarians."

The group, under the temporary leadership of Cornelius M. Sheehan '58, will hold its organizational meeting tonight, and intends, according to Sheehan, to seek formal approval from the Student Council and the Dean's Office as a recognized undergraduate activity.

If approval is received, Sheehan said that the new group will probably circulate a petition in the University and a resolution to other colleges calling for "strong action in Hungary." Other activities have not yet been planned.

It is known that impetus for forming the group came from a resolution which William C. Brady '57, another member of the provisional group, presented at Mechanics Hall rally Sunday night. He was cheered there by the audience when he said that the U.S. should be prepared to send troops to Hungary if Russia fails to comply with the U.N. request for Soviet non-interference.

A behind-the-scenes debate ensued yesterday, as members of the new group discussed the strength of the resolution they wished to propose. Several members reported that they were attempting to tone down Brady's original proposal.

Other provisional members include Henri de Bayle '59, Pierre Lambert 1B, John Trent '58. and William Engstrom '57.