Council Proposes New Football Seating Plan

Committee's Report Advocates Better Student Seats, Late Deadline on Ticket Applications

By Adam Clymer

Better football tickets for undergraduates and an end to the requirement that applications be filled twelve days in advance will be recommended tonight at the Student Council meeting.

A committee report will ask that students be seated on both sides of the 50 yard line, displacing some alumni, and it will urge that the ticket office expand facilities so that applications could be filled the Monday before the game.

The report, drafted by Davis Weinstock II '59, argues that the University's announced policy is that "athletics belong to the students," and that therefore "students should be given the best seats possible." It proposes that students now seated in Sections 35 or 36 (centering on the ten-yard and goal lines) be placed in Sections 30 or 20 (centering on the other 35 and 25).

Lettermen Displaced

Section 30 is now filled by season tickets for former lettermen, while Section 29 holds season tickets for former Varsity Club members. The report then suggests somewhat ambiguously that the ex-lettermen be permitted to retain their seating preference.

Student Season Tickets

Another suggestion in the report is that students be allowed to purchase season tickets at a reduced rate for them-selves and their dates, in the best student section, thus rewarding continued support of the team.

The report was prepared through study of the ticket distribution, but one passage suggested that Lunden's office refused full cooperation. It reads, "We have been unable to obtain an exact accounting for all the tickets in Section 31. A cursory observation would seem to indicate some of these tickets are used by groups other than those listed." The Department of Athletics had said that tickets in Section 31 went to players and to University officials.