Kaplan Club Wins In Semi-Finals of Law Competition

Griswold, Blackstone Clubs Meet Tonight in Law Debate

The Kaplan Club moved into the finals of the Law School Ames Competition with a victory over the Casner Law Club Monday night in the Ames Court Room of Austin Hall.

W. John Kennedy 3L, and Daniel J. O'Hearn 3L, of the Kaplan Club, were attorneys for the appellant, "Local 688, Electrical Workers Progressive Society," while Mark Crane 3L and Samuel V. Goekjian 3L of Casner Law represented the defendant, the "Ames Electrical Supply, Inc.,"

Judge Kingsley A. Taft of the Ohio Supreme Court, presided at the trial, assisted by Judges Jose deVaron '38 and John T. Noonan '19. The teams are judged on debating ability and not on the legal merits of the case.

Clubs for the Ames Competition are formed during the first year of Law School. Second year students compete up to the quarter-finals of the competitions, and in the third year the quarter-finalists compete to determine the final winning team.

Tonight at 8 p.m., the other two quarter-finalists in the competition, the Griswold and Blackstone Clubs, will meet in the Ames Court Room. The winner will meet the Kaplan club this Spring before a member of the United States Supreme court and two lower court judges.