New Plans Strengthen Harvard-Radcliffe Tie

Program Will Include Joint Health Center And New Theatre

As a result of Radcliffe President Wilbur K. Jordan's announcement Thursday of his school's projected ten-million dollar "development program," it seems clear that Harvard and Radcliffe have taken perhaps the largest step towards the amalgamation of the two schools since the adoption of joint instruction.

In his report, Jordan mentioned "the Harvard-Radcliffe Health Center and the Harvard-Radcliffe Theatre," and said that "Radcliffe's share in the Health Center will be about ten percent of the total cost." These two structures are the largest, non-academic additions which the University is currently planning, outside of the new Houses.

The figure of ten percent is roughly the proportion of Radcliffe students to Harvard students, and if joint building is maintained on this basis, Radcliffe can be expected to contribute nearly $100,000 towards the new theatre. The Over-seer's Visual Arts Committee set a figure of $1,000,000 as the cost for such a building.

Levin Cites 'Cliffe Role

Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English and one of the leading faculty proponents of the new theatre, pointed out that "It has been recognized as a matter of course," that Harvard and Radcliffe would work together with regards to a new theatre. "It has long been considered, in fact if not in theory, that Radcliffe has a substantial part in Harvard drama," Levin added.