Solitude

Every undergraduate spends at least three years of his life in one of the seven Houses, unless he finds a wife, enlists, plays a noisy musical instrument, has parents living nearby, becomes physically or mentally ill, or cannot afford to live in a House.

There are some undergraduates, however, who prefer to live outside the Houses although they do not fulfill the qualifications. These individuals find that the Houses, with their overcrowding, make it impossible to pursue studies or other work in peace, quiet, and solitude. Communal living is beneficial, but there are times when a quiet nook away from the world and roommates is more desirable.

Until the middle of last year, if a student could convince his Senior Tutor that leaving the House would be in his best interest, permission was generally forth-coming. The Houses did not noticeably suffer as a result, and a number of students were enabled to pursue their work under what was, for them, better conditions.

Most of these students would, probably, have stayed in the Houses had single rooms been available. But in the present situation, the number of such rooms are understandably few. The Masters, nevertheless, have decided this year to refuse permission to undergraduates who wish to leave the Houses in search of a more private atmosphere.

With only a few more years left until the construction of new Houses and with that event, more single rooms, it is unfortunate that the Masters have decided to slam the doors now. When the right to leave the House was left to the discretion of the individual Senior Tutor, who knew the case best, there was, even then, no large scale exodus. The Senior Tutors have the best interests of the House as well as the student in mind and, moreover, they are by virtue of their position, best qualified to judge the needs of both.

Rather than rule out departures the Masters would do better to let the Senior Tutors grant permission to leave the Houses when they think wise. They would also do well to advocate more single rooms and quiet halls in the new Houses so that, in the future, their belief that every undergraduate should live in a House would be more realistic.