War Against Out-of-State Cars Pursued

DeGuglielmo Vows To 'Abide by Law'

Cambridge Councilor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '38 reaffirmed yesterday that he would continue to press for a crack-down on cars from the five states which do not have unlimited registration privileges in Massachusetts.

The Councilor spoke in reply to Motor Vehicle Registrar Rudolf F. Kings' statement that the Registry has "sole authority to give non-residents equal and reciprocal privileges to what Massachusetts drivers have in other states." DeGuglielmo maintained he would "abide by the law."

Students from Arizona, Mississippi, Nebraska. North Dakota, and Oklahoma must register their cars here after a definite time limit.

"But there is another aspect to my proposal, which seeks a stricter enforcement of the compulsory insurance law," DeGuglielmo said. The Councilor indicated he was more interested in apprehending violators of the insurance provisions, who are liable to a $125 fine, than in making car-owners pay the $9 registration fee.

Councilor Warned

DeGuglielmo denied charges by Motor Registry spokesmen from New York, Ohio, and California that his motion was aimed at out-of-staters. Ohio's Assistant to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, Clifford W. Ayers, had warned' "DeGuglielmo had better not forget that a lot of Massachusetts boys go to school here."

"There is a stiff fine," DeGuglielmo said, for those out-of-town students who spend most of their time in Cambridge and do not pay the Cambridge insurance premium, which is the second highest in the state.