Shaplin Initiates Petition to Annul School Selections

6600 Signatures in 15 Days Needed to Revoke 'Illegality'

As he promised Tuesday night, Judson T. Shaplin '42, assistant dean of the School of Education, got his referendum under way yesterday to annul the 17 appointments made last week by the Cambridge School Committee.

Shaplin revealed that he would attempt to collect 6,600 valid signatures in the next 15 days in order to revoke the committee's "illegal" appointment of the teachers in a closed session last week. Shaplin will be aided in this effort by the League of Women Voters, the P.T.A. Council, the Council of Neighborhood Associations, and the Cambridge Civic Association.

The dean stressed Tuesday night the need of "every organized effort of the community" to collect the necessary signatures during the Christmas holidays. Mrs. Alan Steinert, chairman of the signature campaign, said yesterday that "this couldn't come at a more difficult time of year."

Cambridge parents indicated their support of the annulment at Tuesday's meeting, when those present roundly applauded the first P.T.A. speaker, who was "definitely opposed" to the committee's action. The group hissed Mayor Edward Sullivan, chairman, and laughed during a speech in favor of the appointments, by James Fitzgerald, who referred to Shaplin as a "bum."