Sargent Has Tax Value of $150,000

University officials were still in the dark yesterday as to what Harvard planned to do with the property presently owned by Boston University at Sargent College and evaluated at over $150,000. The Administration Wednesday confirmed a "verbal agreement" to buy the land and buildings when B.U. moves its physical education affiliate to Boston.

The assessed tax value of the buildings now used by Sargent was estimated at $139,300, as of Jan. 1, 1956, according to records in the Cambridge City Assessor's Office. Boston University owns 10,093 square feet of land at 1595 Massachusetts Ave., with an estimated value of $12,400.

Use of the Sargent buildings as dormitories for married graduate students is an "interesting idea," commented J. Petersen Elder, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Elder, several weeks ago termed the housing conditions for married students "deplorable."

The graduate school dean said he was not aware of negotiations between Harvard and Boston University for the property, which lies adjacent to Harkness Commons, until he read about them in the CRIMSON. He added he had not been told to what use the new acquisition would be put.

The drive to move Sargent to Boston closer to the "mother institution" is a part of B.U. President Robert C Case's multi-million-dollar fund drive. Officials of Boston University, however, did not confirm the report that the move across the river would take place in 1959.

Most of the girls who attend Sargent live at 1595 Massachusetts Avenue, the site of the projected sale