Faculty Asks Relief Funds For Hungary

Friends Committee To Receive Money

Funds for Hungarian relief are being solicited in letters mailed out to 2100 Corporation appointees today. An eighteen-man committee of Faculty members has asked its colleagues to send contributions, payable to the American Friends Service Committee, to provide refugee relief.

The letter reads in part, "Although subsequent events have already somewhat dulled the impact of the frightful suppression of the Hungarian revolt, it is increasingly clear that the consequences of the revolt have only begun to appear. Every day adds thousands to the mass of refugees in Austria, and the work of relief will become greater as the winter sets in."

No definite goal has been announced for the drive, but receipts will be turned over to the relief group shortly before Christmas. The clerical work for the drive is being done by the staff of General Education Ahf.

The committee included Samuel H. Beer, Paul H. Buck, J.N. Douglas Bush, Abram Chayes '43, Dean A. Clark, Merle Fainsod, John H. Finley, Jr. '25, Bertrand Fox, John Kenneth Galbraith, Seymour E. Harris '20, Mark A. DeWolfe Howe '28, George B. Kistiakowsky, John V. Lintner, Harold C. Martin, Summer H. Slichter, Charles H. Taylor, Robert Ulich, John H. Van Vleck.